Friday, March 14, 2008

PS: You're welcome for the Christmas presents

Next week is Holy Week, the most sacred time of the Christian year and the basis of Jesus Christ Superstar. This came up in conversation last night (Holy Week, not JCS) when I was out with Paul and the Pinko. They both took swipes at Christianity, which the Pinko then confused with Catholicism (we're called Protestants, dumbass, and we exist).

Now, I have many criticisms of organized religion myself, and my spiritual life has been marked by a skepticism that borders on hypocrisy. I understand the logic behind atheism and can see how a person comes to adopt that point of view. A lot of my friends are atheists and that's fine with me. It's their choice, I accept it, and it becomes a jumping off point for banter.

But mocking Lent and Holy Week? What the fuck? Seriously, would you make fun of Jews on Yom Kippur? And is this not a display of the same sort of intolerance we're accused of practicing ourselves (it exists, yes, be we're not all like that)?

I let it go at the time (hence the venting here) with the same eye roll I use on people who think my love of showtunes is an indication of my masculinity. Grow up and get a fucking clue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I prefer to make fun of my Jewish friends on Passover.